Under the management and guidance of the first and current Directors, Venerable Tzu Jung and Venerable Ru Chang, the Museum has developed to become an important landmark in Taiwan.
Venerable Ru Chang (2013- )
Venerable Ru Chang earned a Master's degree from the Fo Guang University Graduate Institute of the Arts. She holds several important posts including Director of the Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum, Executive Director of the Fo Guang Shan Foundation for Buddhist Arts and Education, Head Director of 29 Fo Guang Yuan Art Galleries around the world, and she is an Associate Professor of the Graduate Institute of Religious Studies of Nan Hua University. She has served as the Director of the Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum since 2013. On May 6th, 2018, she was appointed by the British Library as a member of the "Buddhism Special Exhibition Advisory Committee." Her professional knowledge in Buddhist art is highly affirmed by libraries and museums from around the world.
Areas of Expertise
Buddhist art. Museum management. Curator.
Chief Editor, Encyclopedia of Buddhist Art
Vice President, Chinese Association of Museums
- 1) Outstanding Youth Award in 1992
- 2) Social Education Public Service Award by the Ministry of Education of Taiwan in 2012
- 3) In 2018, won the Ministry of Education Social Education Charity Award (Team Award)
- 1) Cloud and Water: Venerable Master Hsing Yun's 50 Years of Dharma Propagation in Taiwan, Exhibition Tour in 2003
- 2) To Enlighten Sentient Beings - Calligraphy Tour of the Venerable Master from 2005 to 2008 (A total of 19 exhibitions in 8 countries)
- 3) Venerable Master Hsing Yun's One-Stroke Calligraphy Worldwide Exhibition from 2009 to 2019 (Exhibited in 25 cities and visited by over 5.5 million people)
- 4) Historical Museum of Fo Guang Shan Permanent Exhibition presented in Fo Guang Shan affiliated branches worldwide since 2011
- 5) "Walking with the Buddha - Discovering the Natal Landscape of the Buddha", in cooperate with the Durham University in the UK, which is one of the top four archaeology departments in the world (2018)
- 6) Buddhist Ocean Journeys - New Media Art Exhibition and Conference (2021)
- Humanistic Pure Land and Garden Cities ，2021，Fo Guang Cultural Enterprise
Venerable Tzu Jung (2011-2013)
Venerable Tzu Jung is a graduate of Japan's Bukkyo University, where she majored in social welfare. In 1998, she received an honorary doctorate degree from the University of the West, California, U.S.A. She served as the first director of the Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum between 2011 and 2013. She is currently the Acting President of the BLIA World Headquarters, and the President of the Light Transmission Council.
Venerable Tzu Jung is committed to the development of Fo Guang Shan's charity work, and social welfare is due to her undertakings deeply rooted in Fo Guang Shan. She has taken on important roles including the President of the Charity Council, the President of the Executive Council, the Abbess of Hsi Lai Temple, the Abbess of Jin Guang Ming Temple, the President of the Education Council, the Principal of FGS Open University, and the Director of Gandha Samudra Culture Company.
Venerable Tzu Jung has been immersed with Buddhist teachings for over fifty years, and is considered to be a hub of FGS's human network and resources. Because of her work ethic and outstanding ability to plan and direct major events, BLIA is able to carry out activities systematically and efficiently, and Fo Guang Shan has been able to nurture numerous Buddhist talents over the years.
She is the author of "The Guiding Orchids: Masters of Reform and Innovation in the History of Buddhism."